Direct Cool II
SBT® Technique | Gelation Index | Low-Temperature Viscosity
ASTM D2983 - Proc. D
The SBT® test measures the apparent viscosity of fresh, sooted, or highly oxidized engine oils at low temperatures. It determines the susceptibility of engine oils to flow-limited and air-binding responses during slow cooling conditions by providing continuous rheological data over a broad temperature range (+90°C to -40°C).
Additionally, the multi-purpose Direct Cool II can be used for running the automated low-temperature viscosity test for ATF, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils per the new ASTM D2983, Procedure D technique. The dual-position design allows operators to test two samples simultaneously, or the ability to run a reference sample alongside an unknown sample as indicated in the ASTM method.
Features & Benefits
- Thermoelectric Module Cooling (TMC) eliminates flammable bath mediums.
- Small, Dual-position, bench-top footprint.
- Incorporates new all-digital TAV-IIIM SBT® Viscometer model.
- SBT® Automation Package (w/Laptop) offers the capability to operate up to four, 2-place Direct Cool II units simultaneously and independently.
- Self-contained pre-heating: Heats samples up to 90°C prior to prescribed cooling profile.
- Programmable Temperature Controller maintains bath temperature within ±0.1°C to -40°C.
- Universal Power capability (110—240VAC, 50/60 Hz)
- Internal automatic dry air system removes moisture that accumulates during the test.
- Built-in touchscreen for easy-access temperature control settings and bath operations.
GIR-150 | Gelation Index Reference Oil
LNP-5 | Low-Temperature Newtonian Oil
For a complete listing of part numbers and available container sizes of Direct Cool ll Reference Oils, review the Tannas Reference Oils & Catalysts Parts List.
Visit our Certified Reference Materials page to download SDS sheets or Oil Certificates.
Parts & Accessories
- 102500: SBT® DC II Automation Package
- 100022: SBT® Viscometer (TAV)
- 160022: SBT® Direct Cool Stator
- 160021: SBT® Direct Cool Adapter Assembly
- 160011: SBT® Direct Cool Rotor
- 100031: Female Hook
- 160032: Male Hook
- 160500: SBT® Oil Package